Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/rv8/media/foundry/3.1/libraries/cssmin.php on line 2236

This last week I the mating surfaces of the plenum chamber cover, then riveted the cover together. Then I disassembled most of the vertical pieces of the baffling, primed the mating surfaces, and riveted those together. The basic baffle plans have the whole baffle assembly riveted together, which means that it is impossible to remove from the engine without drilling out a bunch of rivets. I decided to use screws and nutplates in strategic locations so the baffles can be installed and removed in sections.

This afternoon I reinstalled the baffling and did a trial fit of the cover. So far so good. I primed the mating surfaces on the front baffle pieces. Tomorrow I'll rivet those together and install them. Then I'll attach the fibreglas transition pieces that go from the cowling to the plenum chamber cover.

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0 / 1000 Character restriction
Your text should be less than 1000 characters

People in this conversation

  • Kevin,

    We have been happy with our plenum but have a couple of stress cracks at the angles. We made it out of a single sheet and the compound angles cracked...stop drilling worked. But after about 300 hours we rebuilt it.

    We divided the plenum in the midline and joined it with a piece of the baffle material to allow more movement. Over sizing the holes and using washers under the heads also allows for more movement. I did not realize how much the engine stretches horizontally with thermal expansion and power strokes.

    Good luck

    Kaluza

  • Thanks for the comments. I'll look at enlarging the screw holes a bit to allow for
    some movement, and I'll pay attention for cracks.

    ---
    Kevin Horton

  • Guest - hosting

    http://ks-aufzugsservice.com//images/web-hosting-best-38097.jpg