I had hoped to be able to do my final inspection and first flight this week. But, I ran into a scheduling problem with the guy who is doing my final inspection. The way our respective schedules line up, I won’t be able to get the inspection done until sometime after we get back from Oshkosh. And to add insult to injury, I learned that I had misunderstood how the process worked. I thought that I would be given the Special Certificate of Airworthiness at the end of the inspection, so I could fly right away. But, it turns out that the process is to send the inspection paperwork to MD-RA headquarters in Hamilton for their audit, and they send me the Special C of A later. This can apparently take weeks :(

So, it looks like first flight no earlier than mid-August, with a significant risk of a delay until late August. Drat.

Update 22 July 08 - My work schedule has suddenly started to fill up. I will be on the road of much of August, and all of September. It won't take much of a paperwork delay, or bad weather on the few days I am in town, to push the first flight into October. Double Drat.